Requirements for Non-Resident Belize Dollar Account
On 19 June 2017, the domestic banks were delegated authority to open accounts for the following categories of non-residents:
• Non-residents living and working in Belize
• Non-residents living and studying in Belize
• Non-resident under the Qualified Retirement Programme
• Non-residents that owns property in Belize
• Belizeans living abroad
• Foreign embassies and their diplomats
• Non-residents as joint account holders with relative or spouse
• Companies with non-resident signatories
• Overseas companies registered to do business in Belize with non-resident signatories
All other non-residents’ requests for Belize dollar accounts that fall out of the scope of the above-given authority must be referred to the Central Bank for exchange control permission by an authorised dealer.
Steps to apply for approval of non-resident Belize Dollar Account
The letter of application for Non-Resident Belize Dollar Accounts should be sent to the Central Bank addressed to the Manager, Research Department, Exchange Control Approvals Unit, and should contain the following information:
1. Name of the non-resident
2. Address of the non-resident
3. Purpose of account
4. Source of funds
5. Type of account
The following documents must be attached to the letter of application:
1. Certified true copy/notarized passport of non-resident(s)
2. Source of funds (for example: bank statement/banker’s reference, court settlements, etc.)
The Central Bank reserves the right to request any additional information as deemed necessary for the processing of the application.
Email letter and supporting documentation to [email protected].
An acknowledgement email and application status will be sent via email within 24 hours of submitted application. If you have any further questions, please contact the Exchange Control Unit of the Central Bank of Belize.